I upgrade my Motorola MPx200 smartphone based on Windows Mobile for Smartphones 2002 to the Windows Mobile for Smartphones 2003.
There were several reasons for it. One was that with the 2003 version it becomes possible to run .NET Compact Framework apps on the phone. Another reason was that a lot of people experienced a better battery life after the upgrade. There were some more reasons, which I don't want to discuss in detail.
But, the procedure itself really sucks. The thing is that there is no offical authorized update by Motorola. The are some flash roms available in the net, if you look for them using the common search tools, I'm sure you find them. I've got a very good one now which starts up with a tiny image of Southpark's Cartman. You'll get a large zip file containing the new phone ROM, some tools and a quite good instruction how to proceed.
In my case, the update didn't even start correctly, and I couldn't figure out why exactly even after following the instructions 100%. So I started researching.
Finally it worked, after going through the following steps before starting the "real" upgrade procedure:
0. be aware that even trying it and missing something might mess up you phone and might have your phone ending up as a very stylish paper weight on your desk
1. make sure that your moto is 100% fully charged
2. remove the sim card of the phone
3. remove the sd memory card of the phone
4. hard reset your moto
5. unplug all USB devices of you pc and reboot
6. after rebooting, be sure to stop any virus protection, local machine firewalls etc.
7. use your windows task manager to kill processes which might affect your moto - in my case there was some stuff running which belonged to my Nokia 3650 sync software, bluetooth tools etc. Kill any local servers not necessary, like CF, Jrun, Apache or whatever.
8. start the upgrade procedure as described with you flash ROM file.
That's how it worked for me. But as told above - it might kill your phone, if you do anything wrong. So be careful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment